Tuesday, January 27, 2009

why did I decide to list all those books? to the right, a couple of inches down...

Can I ask you a question? Why would I list all the books you see on my blog now?

The shortened answer is: my friend Michele posted a resolution of sorts her
blog, and I decided to pursue a similar one of my own and join the crowd. Btw- her resolution stemmed from this article.

So the long reason why I have decided to join this resolution/competition/etc. is because about a year and a half ago, Michele and I were conversing about my college career. I was sharing how my English professor was really encouraging me to explore writing more and even possibly switching to English as my major (I have not, as an fyi). Michele had many encouraging things and suggestions to say (including starting a blog), but she said one thing that has haunted me since. She said, "Why would go into an English major, you don't really like reading, do you." (or something to that extent- sorry M if this is not an accurate word for word repeat!!). A first, I felt offended- I mean, she is one of my closest friends, so how could she say such a thing?? I mean, I was one of the kids who learned to read at age four and always had a book in hand- would read walking to and from school, sneak to the bathroom to read, not fall asleep until 4 A.M. in order to finish a book. Heck, moving seven times in 3 years (um..that is for a future post!) would have been no problem at all had I not ended up having seven- ten boxes half filled with books.

But, she had reason to suggest such an atrocity. You see, since moving to Baltimore, and particularly since starting school in 2004, I have not been very diligent or disciplined to read much other than care group books and textbooks. I tend to buy books that I either do not get time to read or only partially finish.

So, my modified version of M's resolution: I am going to read 26 books this year ALL the way through!! That means I would be finishing one about every other week. I have finished Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard already, and am already in the midst of Knowing God by J.I. Packer (as a study), The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever (for care group), almost finished with Healthy Christian Growth by Sinclair Ferguson (a quickish read), and am planning on starting Far From You by Lisa Shroeder (again, for quick reading). I am trying to only be in the midst of 3 at a time- since they will be read at different times and for different purposes. I am also hoping to write a short summary of what thought and favorite quotes (if any). I am feeling pretty excited about this!! A few friends have made suggestions, so I have a tentative 26 started...but they are subject to change- the ones followed by an asterisk are ones I have previously read, so they may get knocked off unless I feel the Lord is prompting me to keep them on anyway.

So I leave you with this question:

Do you have any favorite books you can suggest? Particularly ones that have greatly impacted your life, and WHY.

Since I have finished Hinds Feet, I will be writing up a review shortly!

4 comments:

~M said...

In no particular order.

1. Reforming Marriage.
First time I was forced to admit that what the Bible says is true about women and marriage. Women are the weaker sex. And it is not only okay, but glorious. (I still have trouble with this one!)

2. Don't Waste Your Life.
Came at an important time in my spiritual walk.

3. Growing Up Christian.
Because I did. And it describes me well and the teens I work with.

4. Age of Opportunity.
Transformed how I "do friendships."

5. Future Grace.
Just finished it. Just read it.

I'm sure that there are others. But for now... those are my thoughts.

Glad to see you know how to read now. hehe

Anonymous said...

It seems like your list is already filling up, but look out for "All of Grace" by Charles Spurgeon and "Practical Religion" by J.C. Ryle. Those were two of the best books I read in 2008.

ames said...

M and Joe,
Thanks for the suggestions!! My "shelf" does appear full, however, some are previously read books, and while there are a few, such as "Don't waste you life" that I feel called by God to review again, some are there as substitutes until I got some some suggestions!! Thanks so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't know you, but I found your blog through Michelle's blog.

One of my all-time favorite books is The Cross of Christ by John Stott. I read it about 2 years ago and it was awesome. Stott is an excellent expositor of God's Word and uses helpful illustrations. A good devotional book to meditate on what Christ accomplished for us through his passion. I highly recommend it. Just talking about it with other people makes me want to read it again.