Sunday, January 4, 2009

what is the BEST thing about 2009?

Can I ask you a question? What do you think is the best thing about this year? In 2009, what do we have to look forward to?

Here is what I believe is the most exciting thing:

"God so loved the world, he sent his only Son to die for us. And whomever believes in His name will not perish but have eternal life." WOW!! (that is John 3:16, btw)

And, the thing is, that is not something new for 2009...it was true in 2008, as it was in 1009, and will be in 2010 and beyond!

It is new to me this week though, because I have been mediating on this line, "I ask great things of a great God," from Valley of Vision, which is a collection of Puritan prayers and devotions. I wanted to pass on to you the entire prayer so that you can reflect on what a kind, gracious, and BIG God we have. (hopefully there are no copyright infringements here!!)

O Fountain of all good,
Destroy in me every lofty thought,
Break pride to pieces and scatter it to the winds. Annihilate each clinging shred of self-righteousness,
Implant in me true lowliness of spirit,
Abase me to self-loathing and self-abhorrence,
Open up in me a fount of penitential tears,
Break me, then bind me up;
Thus will my heart be a prepared dwelling for my God;

Then the Father can take His abode in me,
Then can the blessed Jesus come with healing in His touch,
Then can the Holy Spirit descend in sanctifying grace;

O Holy Trinity, three Persons and one God,
inhabit me, a temple consecrated to thy glory!

When thou art present, evil cannot abide;
In thy fellowship is fullness of joy,
Beneath thy smile is peace of conscience,
By thy side, no fears disturb,
no apprehensions banish rest of mind,
With Thee my heart shall bloom with fragrance;
Make me meet, through repentance, for thine indwelling.
NOTHING exceeds thy power,
NOTHING is too great for thee to do,
NOTHING too good for thee to give.
Infinite is thy might, boundless thy love,
limitless thy grace, glorious thy saving name.

Let angels sing for sinners repenting, prodigals restored,
backsliders reclaimed, Satan's captive's released,

blind eyes opened, broken hearts bound up,
the despondent cheered, the self-righteous stripped,
the formalist driven from a refuge of lies,
the ignorant enlightened,
and the saints built up in their holy faith.

I ask great things of a great God.


So I leave you with this question:

Do you know the God described in this prayer and the wonderful work that He has done for you?? (If you don't, you need to- your life depends on it!!)

God Bless and Happy New Years!

No comments: